So, you're done cloth diapering and now you have a stack of diapers that you don't need anymore. Some families pass on their cloth diapers to a new family, and some families find creative new ways to repurpose their cloth diapers in their life.
Repurposing covers, shells, fitted diapers and inserts can be a bit more challenging, but the Nuggles BambooLUXE prefold is an adaptive add for your life, perfectly blending into the day-to-day functionality of absorbing, cleaning, and taking one for the team.
Note: the 3ply is ideal for cleaning bigger messes, but can feel bulky for some of the jobs suggested below.
What to do with old Prefolds?
Here's how I repurpose my Nuggles BambooLUXE Prefold around the home, along a few suggestions from cloth diapering parents in our Facebook group.
- As a Kitchen Towel - instead of using paper towels, prefolds are an incredible absorbent kitchen towel for soaking up spilled glasses of milk, cleaning up counters, or picking up other messes from sauce to smoothies. They can be purposed into unpaper towels. Fold them and stack them on a drawer, a pretty basket on the counter, and have them available.
- As a Drying Cloth - in the same vein as the above suggestion, a prefold, especially larger thicker variations, make a great drying cloth to air dry clean dishes on the counter. Some people have fancy set ups, I just have a mash up of different prefold diapers that catch the water.
There is no wrong way to reuse your prefold diapers.
- As a face cloth - at first glance you might think it's too big, but it's actually a really nice size to clean all the make up off your face, to clean off a face mask, or just to wash your face. The size 1 is a smaller choice, but the size 2 works too. In general, a Terry cloth prefold like the BambooLUXE Terry Prefold works well as a cleaning cloth in the bathroom giving you lots of surface area and a nice gentle scrub where you might want it.
- As a Placemat on the Table - why not? The size 2 is a great size for a plate and cutlery on the table.
- As Packing Material - a prefold diaper, and other cloth material, make excellent packing material between plates and other breakables.
Use your prefold diapers wherever you might use paper products
Yes, some of these uses might stain your prefold diapers. That's okay. A little sun or continual washing of the diaper will help tackle that, but a stained product is not dirty. It's just stained.
Yes, some of these uses might break down the material, but that's normal wear and tear. Not all textiles live forever. And giving them a second use as a cleaning rag helps extend that lifespan through purposeful work.
Yes, you can also give them to a friend or try to sell them. We are allowed to make our own choices about what to do with your diapers next.
What do you do with your diapers at the end of diapering?
Share with us in the comments what you decided to do and why that works for your family.
Bailey is a mom of two young and wild children living in the cold tundra of Northern BC. She fell in love with cloth diapering where she continues her passion here at Nuggles as the Director of Happiness. Bailey loves social media, chewy candies, and chasing waterfalls.